Monday, October 26, 2009

Meal Swap....

We did a meal swap with our Bible Study and it was so much fun and something I would definitely do again! It was a lot of work right away but to have 5 meals in the freezer ready to go was so worth it!! If you don't know what a meal swap is, it's when you make so many meals of the exact same thing. Here I made Baked spaghetti and made 6 batches of them(some I split up as there families wouldn't be able to eat all of it at one time) Then you all meet and exchange what you've made. Some of the meals that we received were chicken pot pie, enchiladas, sloppy joes with potatoes, soup, and another pasta meal(i can't remember the name of it). So we got a great variety and it's been great not having to cook every night!!

Here's the reciepe for the baked spaghetti!! SO GOOD!!!

Italian Spaghetti Pie

1 ½ lb Italian Sausage – I used half mild, half hot
1 med onion, chopped
mushrooms, optional
2-4 tsp. brown sugar
Brown above ingredients together.
Add:
Prego Traditional Sauce -14 oz.
2 c. tomato juice – V8
1 can tomato soup/Roasted Garlic & Herbs (I used just 1 can even when doubling)
3 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. or more chili powder
1 tsp. or more oregano
1 tsp. or more Italian seasoning
garlic powder- I used fresh
pepper/light on salt to taste
4 Tbsp. ketchup
*Lawry’s Spaghetti Mix (powder pkg) (I used McCormicks) *secret ingred. 
Mix all ingredients together, simmer. I was generous on the seasonings. Before putting a piece of pie on the plate put a ladle of sauce onto it and serve sauce on the side. This freezes well.

Cook one small pkg. spaghetti noodles, drain. In large bowl, add ½ c. butter, softened or slightly melted-I didn’t double the butter when doubling the recipe, ½ - ¾ c. Parmesan Cheese, I also added a container of Ricotta Cheese, and 3 beaten eggs. Mix together.

Fold in cooked noodles, spread in 9x13 buttered pan to form crust.
Layer with Mozzarella Cheese.
Pour spaghetti sauce on top.
More mozzarella cheese 
Bake at 350 ½ hr w/cover and another ½ hr w/o cover to brown cheese.
Enjoy!!!!

I doubled the recipe and made a lasagna pan and a medium casserole pan to freeze!

No comments: